Background

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Final Iceland Post

These are the last of the Iceland pictures. It was a great week. I learned lots, for example, I learned that I am a California girl through and through. I need sunshine and light to keep me happy and flip-flops and only one layer of clothing.
Icelandic Viking.
Fun fact: Icelanders "believe" in trolls. They have legends and stories about them. It's believed that if you put your sweet, loving child to bed at night and they wake up the next morning mean and bratty, then a troll must have stolen your sweet child and replaced it with a devil child. True story.
This is Maggie! She and I became fast friends this semester and I adore her. She didn't go to Iceland with the other students and I, but she met up with me for a few days of fun!
This church was directly across from my hotel. In fact, if I looked out my bedroom window, this is exactly what I would see. For a few kronor you can go to the top of the chapel and look down at all of Iceland. So I did.
Inside the church.
First view.
Little boxes: There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one and they look just the same.
While I was up top the church taking pictures, the clock stuck! Man Alive! It was LOUD.
Around the city of Reykjavik (Ray-k-vic)
This building is a music hall. At night the whole building is lit to look like the northern lights. Oh shoot, I forgot about those. If I get pictures of the northern lights I will post them.
This sign was in a souvenir shop. Made me chuckle. Funny Icelanders.
Bill Clinton ate at this hot dog stand...and so did I.
That's my hotel.
Random street.
This is their city jail. Pretty fancy huh? I learned that women are hardly ever convicted of a crime. If a women goes on trial for something or is accused of something, the Icelanders will assume that a man drove the woman to commit the crime. Example: A woman steals a bow and arrows from the local convenient store, then a man must be after her and she needed protection and it was the only way to get. She is set free. You have to love Iceland.
Parliament, not much security.
And now, graffiti that I enjoyed around the city.
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass."
My vans made a heart in the snow.
Susan 'From now on, all my crimes will be committed in Iceland" B.

1 comment:

Maggie Thomas said...

Man, I should have held my braids out so I could have had a cool viking hat, too!