Background

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Forget Me Not

Here's what's happening. I have been given an assignment, a research paper, a argumentative research paper. I am debating the question: Should mothers be discouraged from entering their daughters into beauty pageants? First of all, I love watching Toddlers and Tiaras. It's like a train wreck. I can't stop watching it. It's my guilty pleasure. This paper is going to drive me to drinking. It is the bane of my existence. I have written and re-written it 3 times and tomorrow I am going for a fourth. My first draft, my professor told me I sounded like a journalist (thank you) and my 3rd round, I had Shahida read through it and she too said I write like a journalist. I am glad I picked the right major.I watched the Relief Society Woman's Conference a couple of weeks ago and Elder Uchdorf gave that talk about Forget Me Not flowers. The next day, I was basking in the sun at the park and when I was walking to go back home I found Forget Me Not flowers! I was so excited!
Friday night I went to another boat party. It was freezing! But I met a few nice people and had a good time.

Saturday I went into to Central London to see a play called Decade. Brilliant! It was a big pill to swallow. It's about 9/11 and covers the last ten years since it happened. First, when you enter the venue, they send you through "security" like you're at an airport. You walk through a metal detector and they had 6 desk set up (3 on each side). "Cops" were sitting behind the desks and someone would tell you which desk to go to, to be questioned. While I was standing in line, I watch a lady being frisked. It was intense. The cool thing about the play was, the seating was set up to resemble Windows On The World. It was the restaurant at the top of one of the towers. There is a small octagon shaped stage in the middle of the room, and they have booths set up around the perimeter. The show really utilized the whole room. I have to admit, I choked up more than once during the production. They portrayed people that were in the towers and what happened after it got hit. Intense. There of course was a whole story line to follow, but this is getting kinda long. So I sat at a table with 3 other people. An older couple and then another older gentleman. At the intermission, we swapped 9/11 stories about where we were when it happened. The 3 of them were British and it didn't occur to me that the other side of the world was as affected as the U.S. I really hope they take that production to the U.S. Awesome. I had dinner with Alyssa before the play and we saw a good photo op. See below.
I got a few compliments on my hat. While I was on the train the man across from me said my hat was 'cute' and then gave me a thumbs up while repeating, 'very cute'. Then again at the play the woman I sat next too said the same thing. I was feeling a little self conscious about it when I first went out because I don't normally wear hats. By the end of the night though, I owned that hat. I wasn't wearing the hat, the hat was wearing me.







Susan 'I will never forget' B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the hat was wearing me? that is adorable sue. xxxx

a.

Unknown said...

First of all, the hat is super cute. :)
Second; I actually attended the Releif Society Broadcast in person this year and you could just FEEL Pres. Uchdorf's love in the room. It really was an awesome session. :)