Background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The View From The Shard

Since moving to this country I often find myself literally looking down on London. I've been on the London Eye, up St. Paul's Cathedral, to the top of the Eiffel Tower (which, I know is in Paris), not to mention a few plane rides. I recently went to The View from the Shard. The Shard is a new building in the London Skyline and according to the it's website, the tallest building in Western Europe. It is a whopping 1.016 ft tall. The building itself has residential apartments, commercial offices, a hotel and a spa and at the very top is the viewing platforms.
 The Shard is the building in the lower right corner. Tallest one in the picture.
 It was named "The Shard" because it was built to look like a shard of glass.
 The top of the building.
 This is what the viewing platforms look like. They occupy levels 68-72. You take two high speed elevators after going through security.

 The first five pictures I got off the Internet. The rest, I took myself. Sorry for the blur, my camera doesn't take very good night shots.
 Standing at the bottom, looking up at The Shard.
 Twinkling lights of London.
 I watched the trains traveling, just on the left side there.
 Tower Bridge.
 London's blurry lights.
 That blue circle in the distance is the London Eye.

 I get a lot of compliments on my cupcake beanie. In fact, while I was looking around that night, a handsome fellow told me he liked my hat in passing.

Susan "This must be how Superman feels" B.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Did you then proceed to kiss the "handsome fellow"? You should have. Beautiful view!