Background

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Long Live the Queen


Ever since I moved home back in 2006, I've been trying to get back out on my own again. Nothing seemed to work out for me though. Every plan I made kept falling through. I decided I don't like being a working girl anymore. I want to go back to school. I want to study something that I love and not something that I'm just good at. One day, at work, I googled "study in Britain". I clicked on the first link, and navigated my way through. The first school that was listed was Richmond University. It is located in London, England. I looked around on the web site and thought it looked pretty cool. I liked that there is a gym on campus and the building looks like a castles. Last December, I applied. My application was complete at the end of February and on March 8th I received a phone call saying I had been accepted!


When I first told my parents about applying, they gave me this wary look and just raised their eyebrows at me. When I told my mom I was accepted, she got a little excited. My dad wasn't so quick to join the party though. But I pushed on and jumped through all the hoops the school kept throwing at me. Before too long, both of my parents were offering to pack my bags and pay for my plane ticket! Bless their hearts.


I was relentless for 4 months, trying to keep my "big news" off of facebook. I didn't want to tell my work prematurely. For all four months, I dreaded telling my boss. I was so scared he was going to be mad at me! I set my tell-all date for August 1st and last Monday, I got to work early and with bile and breakfast slowly rising from my stomach and settling in my throat, I went into my boss' office and told him. He was thrilled! I couldn't believe how supportive he was.


This morning, I got an email confirming my Visa to enter the U.K. I am at the point of no return. My flight leaves out of LAX Monday, August 29th. This is it.


That's part of the reason I started this blog. I don't want to forget a thing while I'm over there. I want to be able to go back and remember every detail of this adventure. I am SUPER stoked. I would never have imagined I would live in London.


I need to add some photos. One of the women that I work(ed) with retired last week. They threw her a Twilight themed lunch party. She's a big fan. Robert Pattinson showed up dressed as Edward Cullen and he wouldn't stop bugging me to take a picture with him! So, I obliged.



Susan "you can't spell my name without USA" B.




7 comments:

Camille said...

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this post. First of all, that R.Pat...he can't keep his hands off you. Second, don't leave me!! But do, because I'm so excited for you. But don't.

Jamie said...

I'm so excited for you! Sounds AMAZING and I can't wait to read your blog posts!! I blog about everything so I never forget a single moment! Have a great trip, download blogger on your phone so you can blog while you travel!

Katie said...

I'm so proud of you for finally telling your boss. Way to go! I'm doing a toe touch for you in my mind.

Gracious said...

Hmmmm...feeling bitter sweet...more sweet though! Super excited for you. You are awesome and what a lifetime experience and achievement. Do us proud my dear sweet Susan! You will be sorely missed in person, but I look forward to reading all about your adventures. Love you!

Unknown said...

#1. You are looking FABLOUS, my dear.
#2. I'm going to live vicariously through you for the next two years, m'kay? I can't WAIT to hear of your adventures in London and see TONS of pics.

Sheryl said...

LOVE your picture.... you are a great writer yourself, AND I am SOO Excited for you!! I too shall be reading of your adventures...so ready....set....glow!! XOXO!

Traci and Richard Larson said...

So I'm a little late to reading your blog, I don't get much computer time, but I've been anxious to read it and I'm so excited for you!!! You rock Sue and you are going to have an amazing adventure!!!