Background

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is There An Eastminster Abbey?

To answer my own question, no. There is no Eastminster Abbey. This post might be slightly morbid, but I find it fascinating. Alice and I went for a walk (we do that a lot). We went through a cemetery in Richmond. I think cemeteries are so cool. I think about how each grave is someones story. It makes me happy when I see flowers that are left. I love looking at the dates on the headstones and seeing how old they are. Here, have a look:


This is a chapel in the middle of the cemetery.
This monument are for the children that are buried on either side of it. It made me sick to my stomach to see so many small graves.

Speaking of dead people, I went into London to see Westminster Abbey. I knew there were seventeen monarchs buried there, but I didn't realize that Westminster Abbey is a dead man's party. All my pictures are outside of Abbey. There is no photography inside. Above, I am posed with on of the other girls that went on the trip with me and Big Ben.

Long may she wave.

My favorite part of Abbey, Poet's corner. There is a monument for William Shakespeare and others like, Jane Austen, Lewis Carroll Charlotte, Emily and Anne Bronte, Elizabeth Browning, Edward Lear and so many others.



I also saw the tomb of Queen Elizabeth I and her family members and her life long rival, Queen Mary, might have been her name. When I go to a a cemetery, I don't like walking on graves. In Westminster Abbey, I would have had to scale the walls to get around.

I saw where William and Kate got hitched. I exited the door that Kate entered. Fun fact: That door is only for royalty to enter into, everyone else can exit it or enter from the other side.

I also walked through a museum. It had artifacts that dated back further than the 14oo's. Queen Elizabeth's corset was on display next to her dress and other clothes. YIKES! I imagine she had to break ribs to get that corset on.

This is just outside the Abbey. That is another girl from the trip.

The stained glass windows and textile and architecture through out the Abbey, some have been there since 1066, UH-mazing. That is the only way to describe it.

These kids where walking outside the Abbey. Ah, young English school boys in uniform. Eew, that made me sound like a pedophile. These boys represent what I imagined most English kids to look like.

I also saw the coronation chair. I gotta say, it's looking a little worn. As it should, it's been there a while as well. In fact, they have been using the same chair since 1066. True story.

Also, I saw where Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin are buried.

Just before you leave the Abbey, you can learn about the tomb of the unknown Warrior/Soldier. It is surrounded by Poppy flowers and is really pretty.

I saw so much more than what I have told you, but you are just going to have to come for a visit to learn the rest.



Seriously, it's an amazing church. The layout is in the shape of a cross, to represent the cross of Christ.



This is what outside trash cans look like here in England. Know why? Because people had been putting bombs in the traditional trash bins. Having these out is a precaution for bombings.


Susan "glad to walking amongst the living" B.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing, Susan. I LOVED every bit of trivia. I would be ooh-ing and aw-ing right along with you if I was there. So facinating. :) I think I'm going to do my craft room decor in the style and theme of Jane Austen. This just got me revved up some more. ;) I think I'll go watch "Becoming Jane" for the millionth time now. :)

Tim Birley said...

Hi Susan: the answer to your question is there once was an Eastminster Abbey; after the dissolution of the monastries and abbeys, the site was used for the London mint. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastminster