Background

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Tales From The Crypt

I know not everyone believes in ghosts. I do. I believe in ghosts and spirits. I don't believe in aliens but that's another subject. The reason I believe in ghosts is because I saw one.

Share a ghost story.

I was little, around three. My mom had put me in my bed to take a nap. I remember my room being filled with light because it was daylight outside. Before she left my room and closed the door, she pulled my closet door closed. I never slept with it open. As an adult, if I had a closet door I would sleep with it closed. It brings me comfort.

Something got me out of bed that day. I don't know if it was a noise or a feeling but I got up and went to my closet. I pulled it open. My mom had an ottoman that doubled as a storage box. It had a lid that opened and she kept her sewing paraphernalia in it. It was orange and 70's print plastic. She kept it in my closet since my clothes didn't hang long enough to cover it.

When I opened my closet door, I found a woman sitting on my mom's ottoman. She looked like my mom and I had the distinct thought that I shouldn't feel scared. I actually remember thinking that. The woman wore a dress and she leaned forward just slightly. She said, "everything is okay, go back to bed." There may have been a longer conversation but I was only three and that is the only thing I remember.

For years I did not tell anyone about that encounter. I knew, even as a child, that people may not believe me or they would try to tell me that I must have been dreaming or some other disbelieving B.S. Then one day, I think I was 24, I was at my brother's house. We were standing outside and for some reason I told him about seeing this woman who I believed to be my mom's mom. He nodded and smiled politely as I recounted my encounter. In my mind I was thinking, he doesn't believe me. He's going to say something like, "huh?" when I'm done talking. I was mentally preparing myself for the kind of reaction that I had feared since I was three.

When I finished my story about our departed grandmother hanging out in my closet, my brother said, "That's so weird cause I talked to a woman in my closet that I always thought was mom's mom." When my brother was in the second grade, he heard a woman from his closet ask him how school was going. He didn't tell anyone for the same reasons I didn't tell anyone. Shortly after we told my mom. For the most part people believe what we saw but there are others that don't and that's okay. I know what I saw and my brother knows who he heard and that's all that really matters.


Susan "I ain't scared of no ghost" B.

No comments: