Background

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Kara

A letter of your choice.

When I was in the third grade, I had a best friend, Lisa Peacock. One day after school I went home in tears. Lisa told me she was moving. I was heartbroken. It was 1980-something and Mark Zuckerberg was being potty trained. The convenience of cell phones was still reserved for Hollywood execs and their drug dealers. If you didn't get a forwarding address from the people that moved away from you, you better hope they updated their Yellow Pages profile.

Last Saturday, a very good friend of mine told me that she is moving. To Utah. I have cried everyday since she text me. I am writing this letter to her.



Dear Kara,

Since you told me you were moving, I've come to the realization what an awful friend I am. One of the first thoughts I had was, "If Kara moves, how is she going to teach me to use royal icing on cookies?" and another thought I had was, "She better not move before I help Ty get his Bear!" Awful. I know how hard this decision must be for you and your family. I want to be supportive, but I'm not there yet. I'm trying to be understanding. The thing is, I just don't want to you go.

You're such a good friend to me and I hate that you won't be living up the street. I hate that I won't be able to look around at church and be able to see you and your family. I hate that when I go on my Sunday afternoon walk, I won't be able to stop at your house to say 'hello'. I hate that you won't be my visiting teacher anymore. I hate that our time as friends, friends living in the same city, was so short.

This seems so silly. I mean, we live in a day and age of cell phones, emails, Snapchat and text messages. I could probably contact you 21 ways a day while you are living in another state. But for some reason, it just doesn't bring me comfort. I want to be able to see you and to laugh with you while we sit in the same Yogurtland, and give you a hard time while we eat tacos at Rubios.

I gonna miss you so bad. You are such a wonderful friend. It's not often that you meet someone who ask you how you are, and genuinely cares. You are always so sweet to learn about me and my interest. And the generosity! Who knew so much generosity could exist in one person.

Thank you. Thank you for being a true, genuine friend to me. Thank you for teaching me and being an example to me.

We must never let our Snapchat streak die! I look forward to your snaps everyday.

xo

Susan

Susan "Reach Out And Touch Someone" B.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I have cried every day too! We had to say our goodbyes today and that was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Kara is something special. It's so hard to put into words, but she makes everybody feel like her best friend and always has their well being in mind. I am devastated, as are so many others.