Background

Friday, January 13, 2017

My Body Is A Wonderland

An open letter to my body

Dear Body,

Boy, have we had our ups and downs over the years. I know I was only 12 when I put you on an on again off again diet. Speaking of which, I know some of the diets have not always been favorable or even fair. It's this society that I live in. It's given me false body image issues.

Let me start with an apology. I was not so kind to you in my teenage years. I'm sorry I pumped you full of diet pills, ipecac and laxatives. The thing is, I always had a skinnier friend and I felt like I needed to keep up. It wasn't fair to you. I know I exhausted you with hours and hours of exercise on nothing more than an apple and a Dr. Pepper. I was confused. It was not your fault. Actually, you were super cute! The way you wore my clothes, man, you worked it. Let's never have that kind of relationship again, okay?

Lately I've been trying really hard to be as good to you as possible. I even gave up soda! I know, right! I used to be one Diet Coke away from consuming it intravenously. I overcame that devil years ago. Now I try to get as much water in you as possible. With lemon. I know you like it. I make it a point to get in my 5 fruits and vegetable (usually more fruit) a day. I make you eat fish because it's good for you and we love sushi.


Exercise is so much fun! I try to mix up. Sometimes we go to the gym, sometimes we work up a sweat outside and you are always up for a challenge. That's what I love about you. Usually the thing that holds me back physically is my brain, not you. Thanks for being such a trooper. To reward you, I get our nails done, I let you eat cake whenever you want, I also make sure you get plenty of fiber. You're welcome.

Thanks for helping me age so gracefully. I'm super appreciative. I will continue to take good care of you and tell my mind to lay off giving you such a hard time.

xo

Susan "Diet Coke Survivor" B.

No comments: