Background

Sunday, January 8, 2017

They're Not Just For Skaters

Write a letter to a brand or company

Dear Vans Shoes,

Thank you for being so dependable, my old friend. I remember as a child going to the Vans store at the end of summer to pick out a pair of new school shoes to carry me through the year. I can still smell the sent of rubber soles. I was first introduced when my skateboarding brother added them to his skater uniform of Thrasher shirts, tight rolled Levi's and of course black and white checkered classic slip on Vans.

I remember in junior high when I had a pair of green classic Vans while my best friend, Devon, had a bright yellow pair. Man, we were cool.

Currently, I own four pairs of Vans and consider them my comfortable shoe. They were the first pairs that I packed when I moved across the pond. There, they protected my footsies from the harsh, rainy London weather. I have had many adventures in Vans. Stomping around Disneyland, strolling the streets of Salt Lake City, riding a camel through the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, exploring the city of Reykjavik, Iceland and hustling the streets of New York City. So many memories!

When I see the familiar, easy to identify, waffle impressions anywhere, I feel a sense of joy that others are also reveling in the comfort of a good, dependable shoe. I even bought my niece two pairs of her first Vans when she turned one year old. A proud moment in deed.

I also plan to make them part of my groom's wedding attire so I hope he's on board with that.

*raises glass* To Vans!

 Imprint in Iceland snow
 Enjoying a camel ride through the Atlas Mountains

Susan "Off The Wall" B.

No comments: