Background

Monday, January 9, 2017

To Two Of The Greatest People I Know

A letter to my parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

It's understandable that the two of you stopped having kids after I was born. I mean, once the Sistine Chapel was built no said "We should build another one."

I owe a lot to the two of you. First, thanks for keeping me alive all those years that I depended on you to do so. Thank you for providing me with so many luxuries in life. My cup runneth over.

Mom, thanks for teaching me how to cook my first turkey, make a killer pie crust, measure liquids in the correct measuring cup and my dry in the other measuring cups.

Dad, thanks for introducing me to Toto. Some of my greatest memories are of us driving around and listening to Rosanna and Africa. I will forever associate you with their music.

Mom, thanks for teaching me how to handle a hammer and nail. Thanks for not letting me cut off any fingers when you taught me how to saw wood. Thanks for helping me with all my 1/2 completed craft projects (and the 100% ones too).

Dad, thanks for believing in me as a gymnast when I was little. I remember one day you took me in the backyard and helped me with my back handspring.

Mom and Dad, thanks for showing up to all of my cheer leading games, dance recitals and gymnastic meets. I didn't know how important it was to have you in the audience until you were actually there, smiling down at me. Thanks for your encouragement and support.

Most importantly, thanks for showing me what a successful, loving marriage looks like. Your example has taught me so much and I'm grateful for the love and respect that you show each other daily.

There is so much more that I owe to you, so as a thank-you, you can live with me instead of an old folks home. You're welcome.

Your loving (and nearly perfect) daughter
Susie


Susan "It's Gonna Take A Lot To Take Me Away From You" B.

No comments: