Background

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

You Are The Wind Beneath My Wings

A Letter to the person who has influenced me the most.

This letter has haunted me since I read the list of open letters I'm suppose to write. I'm having a hard time nailing down one person who has influenced me the most in my life. I discussed the topic ad nauseam with my two wonderful co-workers. Doug, David and I had a meeting of the minds and came to the conclusion that the two of them, are in fact, very influential in my life. No one is denying that. However, I gently told them that writing a letter to them would be an obvious choice and I need to dig a little deeper. It was a very successful group think in my opinion.


So I began by thinking of teachers that I've learned from, friends that I've made, co-workers and bosses that I have worked with, church goers that I've worshipped with and even strangers that I sat on the London tube with. I've come up with three teachers in my live that have influenced me in different ways and helped to shape who I am today. So here goes.

Dear Mr. Sweet,

Although 6th grade was many years ago for me, I learned a lot from you. Starting with geography. We spent a lot of time discussing and memorizing the names of every country. I rather enjoyed that. As an adult, that part of my knowledge came in handy while living abroad and playing world traveler. Today, I can not look at a map or globe and not reminisce of the nights I spent learning those names.

You also taught me to draw. As your student, I often found myself frustrated learning to draw and the art of shading. I do not posses the talent to sit down and draw anything free style. BUT, I can doodle the prettiest collages AND this past year I discovered my love for chalk art! I'm pretty proud of some of the chalkboard creations I have been able to express myself through.

Lastly, my love for John F. Kennedy. Ever since we learned about him, I have made it my life's mission to know absolutely EVERYTHING! Which is a lot. The one thing that I hate is that I do not know who assassinated him. I have promised myself that after I die and once I have politely chatted with St. Peter, I'm going straight to The Big Guy and asking him who is responsible for robbing this world of one of the greatest presidents.

Thank you for being such a great teacher!



Dear Tina,

It feels strange to write you a letter. I think about you often. It baffles me how short a time you had on this earth but also how big an impact you made. You were more than just my dance teacher. You were my mentor, my confidant and my friend. You were also the most emotionally strongest person I have ever met. I feel that one of your favorite past times is laughing at my expense and I really didn't mind that. It helped me to learn to laugh at myself. You never judged me and you only scolded me when it came to the art of dance.

 I miss you everyday.


My last letter is to one of my professors at the LDS Bussiness College. Now I can't for the life of me remember her name, but she influenced me to write more. I always liked to write but after taking English with her, I loved to write. She taught me to be creative when I write and to research before I write. Ever since that class, I have made writing one of my passions.

Susan "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You" B.

No comments: