Background

Friday, January 20, 2017

Shake It Off

A letter to someone who has bullied you or seriously hurt you.

Just like I don't let people boss me around, I certainly don't let people bully me. What does that word even mean these days? I mean, no one is sending me scathing Facebook posts and as far as I know, I don't have any hate web pages about myself out there on the world wide web. I have, however, been hurt by more than one person in my life, at varying times. This letter was a little harder to write. I mean, have you met me? I'm a pretty awesome person and it's not everyday that I make enemies or give anyone the opportunity to hurt me. However, one incident that happened more recently did come to mind. I will not be naming names.

This is to a letter to a couple of girls that I tried REALLY hard to befriend. I kinda felt a lot of push back and I don't understand why really. When I was around them, they seemed to like me enough.


Dear You,

I'm sorry we couldn't make our friendship happen. When we hung out in the past, I felt we made a connection but maybe you were just being polite. When I first realized that camaraderie was not in the cards for us, I felt hurt and little angry. Especially since I had tried so hard. I kept trying to make plans with you only to have you cancel at the last minute, more than once. It didn't bother me so much at the time, but it built up.

I tried to provide us opportunities to get to know each other better, to be creative and to plan things that we all enjoyed and had in common. The thing is, I sometimes felt like the fact that I'm not married held us back from being friends. Which, in my opinion, shouldn't matter.

Well, no worries. I will not bother you anymore with my endless fun plans and exciting adventures. Maybe later on in life we can wave to each other as we pass on the street.

Not your friend,

Susan

Susan "Haters Gonna Hate" B.

No comments: