Background

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Stranger Danger

A letter to a stranger.

Well, this might be my weirdest letter yet.

A few years back, before I moved to London, I regularly went roller skating a few cities away. I learned how to roller skate when I was three and I've loved it ever since. I went to all the skate parties my elementary school had at Dave's California Skate. I still miss that place. Anyway, I decided to start roller skating again because I wanted a different and fun way to get in my cardio. So, on Tuesday nights I would drive to Grand Terrace and take advantage of their $2 skate night. I just re-read all of that and I'm realizing how lame I sound. This is kinda embarrassing.

Okay, so here is the real dirt. There was a young girl that I saw regularly. She was your average pre-teen girl. She often wore a Hello Kitty backpack that I thought was totally unhip, but what do I know? Here is the weird part. I felt oddly protective of her. I would see her and I would hope that she had a good home life. I would hope that she was thriving in school and that she had good influences to guide her daily. These feelings always confused me. I have no idea why I felt this way about a complete stranger who was more than half my age. I have never experienced that kind of concern for any other stranger. I often wonder how life turned out for her. I hope well.


Dear Hello Kitty backpack sportin' roller girl,

You are really good at backwards skate. I've been trying to perfect it for years but I just can't get the speed or confidence that you have. Uh, you don't me which isn't weird because I don't know you either but I hope you are well. Are you happy? I mean, I hope your parents are good to you. I'm sure they are, they let you go roller skating regularly so, how bad can they be, right?

I suppose by now you have probably graduated high school. Do you have any plans for college? Look, I don't know why I felt so protective of you. I'm not a stalker and I never wanted to take you home or anything. I just wanted to be sure that you had everything you needed to be successful in life. Yeah, I know that's weird. I don't really understand it myself.

I hope you are well,

Crazy old roller skating lady

Susan "Want Some Candy Little Girl" B.

No comments: